Before taking an overall look at the Pharmacy Technician career information, it is important to have a look at whom exactly a pharmacy technician is, or a Pharm tech as they are commonly known as.
Basically, a pharmacy technician works as an assistant to a pharmacist. They are generally tasked with the preparation of prescription medications for patients/clients. They also receive prescription requests from patients/clients either electronically via mail or via phone. Note, however, that the duties and responsibility of this profession will vary from one state to another, and depending on the place of work.
Another thing worth mentioning about this career path is that most states would expect all Pharm technicians to register with the local board of pharmacy. Luckily, there are several organizations that provide certification for the said programs. Note that, in some States, certification is voluntary while, in others, it is mandatory.
Pharmacy technician certification, just like with any formal training, may make you more attractive to potential employers, hence will give you an edge in the job market.
The Typical Day of A Pharmacy Tech
- Receive prescription requests electronically, in writing or by phone
- Answer telephone calls
- Fill and label bottles containing prescribed medication
- Verify patient profiles including a list of medications
- Verify information on all prescription requests
Educational Requirements For A Career As A Pharmacy Aide
Formal training is not mandatory in most states today for those who wish to start a career in this field. However, because it has been used as an entry level to some of the best paying careers in the medical field, such as doctors or pharmacists, no doubt getting the necessary training would be an added advantage.
Besides, more and more employers today are giving preference to people who have attended formal training from accredited online colleges, community colleges, hospitals, vocational schools or even the military. The training normally lasts between 6 and 24 months, and on the job training will take 3 to 12 months.
Career Growth and Advancement
- Opportunities – As mentioned, this has been used as an entry level position to some of the most lucrative and rewarding careers in the whole world: namely medicine and pharmacy. Besides, in a typical working environment, a pharmacy technician can become a supervisor.
- Job Outlook – The job outlook for Pharm techs is superb. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, this career is growing at a very fast pace. In comparison to careers that require only on-the-job training or relevant working experience, no doubt the growth rate is impeccable.
- Salary and Remuneration – According to Salary.com, a website that keeps track of salaries for the various professional fields in the job market today, Pharmacy technicians have a median hourly pay of $13.49 on average. The Median Annual Salary, on the other hand, is $28,070 as per the latest statistics released to consumers.
By looking at the above Pharmacy Technician Career Information, it is safe to assume that this is a great entry point into the rewarding and lucrative healthcare field.